The library’s supplemental materials support the curricula of several educational institutions:
Terrell ISD, Trinity Valley Community College, Southwestern Christian College, and several local pre-schools.
We can put together class tours and other special visits on request. The library also schedules story times for preschools and TISD Head Start classes. A special Teacher’s Card provides expanded borrowing privileges for community educators.
Teacher Online Resources List:
- www.diigo.com – Organize anything
- www.Blogspot.com – Create your own blog (and find lots of interesting ones)
Online video resources
- The obvious one www.youtube.com – Be sure to look for the Schoolhouse Rock and Grammar Rock videos. Lots of very helpful videos for teachers
- www.mlots.org – Videos designed especially for teachers
- www.npr.org/series/4516989/storycorps – Good stories for practice reading, with (almost) corresponding audio. Also available as podcasts.
- www.teachertube.com – Videos and other resources designed for teachers. It comes from all over the world, so much of it is in other languages.
- http://www.cal.org/caelanetwork/about/index.html – A compendium of resources for professional development for adult educators.
- https://www.khanacademy.org/ – Provides a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere.
- http://www.elcivicsonline.org – ELCivics Online is a unique professional development opportunity for ESL instructors and volunteers who wish to incorporate EL/Civics content into their adult ESL classrooms. This series of online courses will assist teachers in creating interesting, effective ESL lessons
- http://www.nelrc.org – Tools models, research and learning strategies on how to help students stay on their learning paths.
Resources/PolicyResearch/ELLResearchBrief.pdf – This is a research brief by the National Council of Teachers of English with a lot of good information about English Language learners and teaching.
- http://literacynetwork.verizon.org/tln/files/visualaids.pdf – This site offers a list of Web sites that include photos and other graphics that instructors can download for use with students or that students can interact with online. All content is free and users do not need to log in. Some of the sites were designed specifically for English-as-a-second-language students, but most can also be used with English-speaking literacy students.
- http://www.learner.org – Teacher professional development and classroom resources across the curriculum, created by Annenberg media. This website includes Destinos for learning Spanish and Connect with English for English Language Learners, along with lots of other materials.
Internet Resources for Teachers of English as a Second Language
- CAELA Network – For teachers of English
- ESL Videos – Designed for English Language Learners.
- Florida Literacy Coalition – Health Literacy – ESOL Health Literacy – ESL Health Literacy – Helps for teachers of health literacy to ESL students.
- CAELA Tools For Instructors Practitioner Toolkit – A variety of resources for teachers of English, including lesson plans.
- ELL-U English Language Learner University – (ELL-U) National Adult English Language Learning Professional Development Network
- New American Horizons – Video library for teachers of ESL by MaryAnn Flores and Betsy Parrish, who are wonderful trainers. Great resource.
- Resource Connect With English – A WGBH Boston video series for learners of English, also good for classroom use.